Sunday, May 31, 2009

A trip to the hospital.

Get ready for a long story with no pictures :)
On Friday afternoon Jonathan came home for lunch at noon. He had a long lunch that day because he was working a split shift. I mentioned to him right before it was time for him to go back to work (why I didn't mention it to him before that I don't know) that I haven't felt the baby since the night before at midnight. Usually when this happens Jonathan can get him to move by talking to him and poking at him, but not this time. So we called the doctor on call and he told us to come in and off to labor and delivery we rushed. When we got there I checked in and they took me to the triage station and told me to change into the infamous backless gown. As soon as I got that sucker on he started having the hiccups. So I let the nurse know and she said that was great but they hooked me up to the monitor just incase. As she was hooking me up she asked me if I had had any contractions, I told her not really just braxton hicks (little did I know that I was a liar). When I got on the monitor we saw that he was moving around and his heartbeat was fine but I noticed very evenly spaced hills and valleys below his heart beat read out. The nurse then came in and told me that I was contracting like crazy and they were keeping me over night. This is not what I expected to hear. I was planning what we would do that night just seconds before. She then checked my cervix and said I was 2 cm dialated and 80% effaced so they were going to give me an ultrasound to check out the baby and a shot to stop the contractions. I got wheeled away to my room and shot up with IV's and magic labor stopping juice. When they did the ultrasound he was measuring on schedual and was weighing 5lbs 12oz but he wouldn't show them that he was practicing his breathing so I had to have another one in the morning. The next morning he breathed like a champion and I was out of there by 10:45 and put on modified bed rest. I have an appointment on Tuesday to see if I am progressing but I don't think I am because the meds stopped the labor pretty darn fast. It was quite an unexpected adventure and now that I am back home it feels a little boring :) Oh well he needs 2 more weeks of cooking before he can come out so it's hurry up and wait time.

No comments:

Post a Comment