Wednesday, June 2, 2010

An Open Letter To My Son For His Birthday

My dear sweet baby boy,

As I laid you down in your crib tonight I cried a little. When you wake up in the morning you will be one.

I can't believe it's been a year since you surprised us with your unexpected arrival. I can still recall them placing you on my stomach immediately following your birth. As your daddy cut the cord I just stared at you, my mouth  hanging open in shock at how beautiful you were. You were so tiny and helpless and little did I know that even then you were winding me around your little fingers.

I want you to know how much joy you bring into our lives. How everything before seems gray and lifeless. Words cannot express what I am feeling right now, the love I have you, how much you mean to me.

I wish I could stop time and you could stay my tiny baby forever but at the same time I can't wait to see what life has in store for you.

Happy first birthday sweet heart. Momma loves you. 


happybirthday
...in human coupling, millions upon millions of cells compete to create life, for generation after generation until, finally, your mother loves a man,... [and] against unfathomable odds, it's you - only you - that emerged. To distill so specific a form, from all that chaos. It's like turning air into gold. A miracle. - The Watchmen

No comments:

Post a Comment